- 1 20oz can green jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- Juice from ½ lime
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt & pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- Go Raw Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce or salsa
- Cut the jackfruit into thin slices from the center (harder) core to the outer edge. This helps break up the tougher core as much as possible and makes for the best shredded texture. Do not discard either the core or the seeds.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté, stirring periodically, for about 15 minutes until the onions have softened and begin to caramelize to a medium golden brown.
- Add the jackfruit, broth, agave nectar, lime juice, and spices to the pot and cover. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes until the jackfruit softens and nearly all the liquid has absorbed. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Using a potato masher, smash the jackfruit until it is fully shredded. If mixture is still a bit wet, cook a little longer. If mixture is too dry, add a splash more vegetable broth.
- Heat sauté pan or cast iron skillet on high heat. Once hot, heat tortillas for approximately 1 minute on each side and place on a plate or in a tortilla warmer
- To serve, add a scoop of jackfruit mixture to a tortilla and top with Go Raw Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds and your favorite toppings.
Recipe and photo by Michelle Ritchie