- 1 lb parsnips (about 4), peeled or scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 large heads of garlic, skin intact
- 1 tbsp dried whole or fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ½ cups Go Raw Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 15oz can white beans (2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (about ¼ of a lemon), plus zest for garnish
- ½ tsp sea salt, to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Use roast setting if you have one.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with tin foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss parsnips, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper until well coated.
- Pour parsnip mixture onto baking sheet and spread out evenly. Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until garlic and parsnips are tender and turning golden.
- Once cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic from skins into a blender, along with roasted vegetables, beans, vegetable broth, and lemon juice (this may need to be done in 2 batches). Purée until smooth, adding more broth or water if too thick.
- Transfer puréed soup to a large pot. Heat over medium for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently so bottom doesn’t burn.
- Taste and season with additional salt, if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls or mugs and garnish with pumpkin seeds, rosemary (or other herbs), lemon zest, and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve hot.
Recipe and photo by Michelle Ritchie