- 1 small or ½ large watermelon
- 4-6 oz mozzarella cheese (depending on how much you like)
- a couple handfuls of spinach
- 3 tbsp basil pesto; preferably lemony basil pesto (recipe below)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup Go Raw Sprouted Mixed Seeds
Lemony Basil Pesto
- 3 heaping cups fresh basil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the pine nuts in a shallow skillet over medium heat; tossing/stirring frequently.
- Toast until the nuts are fragrant and slightly brown; careful, this can happen quickly.
- Allow the pine nuts to cool.
- Freshly grate the Parmesan cheese using a food processor or hand grater.
- Place the basil, grated cheese, cooled pine nuts, lemon zest, lemon juice, and garlic cloves into a food processor.
- Process all of the ingredients together for about 15 seconds.
- With the mixer running slowly pour in the olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Process again to mix.
- If the pesto is too thick you can add more olive oil.
- Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
- You can also place the pesto in an ice cube tray; fill each cube with pesto; freeze; once frozen place them into a freezer-safe plastic bag.
- Scoop the watermelon out with a melon baller, or round scoop to create a small ball of watermelon.
- Place a couple handfuls of spinach onto a large platter or bowl, and top it with the balls of watermelon.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese into small cubes, and sprinkle over the watermelon.
- Mix together the basil pesto with two tablespoons of olive oil, until it is easy to drizzle; add more olive oil if needed.
- Drizzle the basil pesto over the watermelon and mozzarella.
- Top with Go Raw Mixed Seeds; add as many as you like!
- Add a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
Recipe contributor: Maria Provenzano of fromscratchwithmaria.com