- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- Salt & pepper
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup Go Raw Italian Herb Salad Toppers
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 425°.
- Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a large spoon. Using a peeler, remove the skin. Rub all over with 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place butternut squash cut side down. Roast for 15 minutes, just as the squash begins to soften. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- While the squash roasts, in a small saucepan add coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Heat on medium-high and stir frequently for 3-4 minutes, until the glaze is fully boiling. Remove from heat and set aside. The glaze will thicken as it cools.
- Transfer butternut squash to a cutting board. Using a sharp chef's knife make several deep scores along the backside, being careful not to completely slice through the flesh. Return squash to the baking sheet, with scored side up.
- Rub sage leaves with the remaining ½ tablespoon olive oil and tuck between several of the squash cuts. Season squash again with salt and pepper.
- Using a pastry brush or small spoon, baste the squash with glaze, making sure to get it in all the crevices. Return the squash to oven and bake for another 45-50 minutes, stopping to add another layer of glaze every 10 minutes until the glaze is completely gone. Squash should be fully cooked through and tender when done.
- Top with Go Raw Salad Toppers and pomegranate seeds.
Recipe by Valerie Popelka; Photo by Dana Plucinski